Post Graduate Work Permit

Post Graduate Work Permit

Latest update: New measures taken by the Canadian government regarding post-graduation work permit eligibility due to COVID-19

Due to CIVD-19, many international students who want to pursue their higher studies in Canada may not be able to come to Canada to start their programs. Also, there are travel restrictions in many countries due to the pandemic because of which students cannot come to Canada to start their programs. Considering this, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada have introduced certain changes to the eligibility rules for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program for international students who want to start their Canadian study program online from their home country.

Getting a Post-Graduation Work Permit while studying in Canada (called PGWP) depends a lot on your course and its duration. A work permit under the PGWP is usually issued for the length of the study program. The maximum length of the post-work permit is of three years. It means if your post-graduate course’s duration is two years, you get a three-year PGWP visa. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program. The course duration must be a minimum of eight months in length.

The post-graduation work permit allows students to stay in Canada and gain work experience after completing their graduation. However, students must be graduated from a recognized Canadian institution. Graduates from certain designated learning institutions (DLIs) are eligible for a work permit.

Spoken English

Graduating from a DLI does not mean that you are automatically eligible to get a PGWP. After getting your final marks, a candidate has 180 days to apply for a PGWP. Also, make sure your study permit does not expire before you get your final marks. The PGWP allows international students graduating from a participating post-secondary college/university to gain Canadian work experience. In the long run, Canadian work experience gained through PGWP helps international graduates qualify for PR (permanent residence) in Canada through Express Entry.

Book appointment with Licensed, Regulated Immigration Consultants